Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ghana Day 34

It was my first day at Graphic today, and getting there was an adventure. I was told the wrong directions, so I got out and had to get a cab so I could see where on earth I was supposed to be going. I was also told by a 40 or so year old guy that he loved me. Apparently I’m just irresistible, since I had only sat there for 2 minutes and had only told him my name at that point. I’m actually surprised that this hasn’t happened more often, though, since it sounds like all the other girls are getting quite a bit of it. It was almost a self-esteem booster to know that I still had the same kind of draw that I had in Cameroon.

In any case, I got to the building ok, but Ransford (Editor) wasn’t in when I got there at 9, and since of course no one else was expecting me the subeditor wouldn’t show me around until I’d been formally introduced. Finally he got in around 11, and so I got a tour of the offices where 6 papers are produced (Graphic, Sports Graphic, Graphic Junior, the Mirror, and a couple others that have escaped my mind). It took me a while to get internet to work on my laptop, and so by the time I had settled it was nearly 1. I went around and tried to introduce myself and write down everyone’s names and get cards, but as it turns out there are a *lot* of reporters at the Graphic and not enough computers, so the turnover of people sitting in the newsroom is pretty impressive. I mostly gave up trying to introduce myself to everyone. I’m under instructions though to come early in the morning, when I’ll be able to ask the news editor Samuel some questions and get attached for the morning onto a reporter. I’m going to go in with Mike in the mornings from now on I think, so getting there by 8 hopefully won’t represent a problem.

In terms of intellectual discoveries, I’m not sure today was stellar, although I did hear a few people talk about how the Graphic has a heavier burden of proof than other papers, which is why it doesn’t print many scandals or feature them prominently. You have to be “very careful” in what you want to say. The house style at the Graphic sounds much more reasonable though, and it seemed there were actual rules to be followed rather than just a general sensationalism. In all, I think the Graphic’s got sort of a snooty opinion of the private papers, but don’t necessarily look down on at least some of them.

So that was my first day. A parliamentary correspondent, Daniel, took pity on me and was restless when I left, so he walked me out and showed me the bus stop and everything. The weather is back to hot and humid today, so the ride home was icky, but since I left early it was shorter than normal.

And now it’s 7:45 and I think I’m ready for sleep. Yes, I’m that lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment