Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ghana Day 32

Today was a productive although fairly boring day. I got up a little past 7 and hung around for a bit before Katey and I went in to town. We changed money on the way out, and then caught a trotro in the rain (Katey forgot her umbrella, and mine is small, so it was certainly a fun time). The trotro we got was rather leaky, and I was given a really nasty rag to keep the water off my arm and pants leg, and eventually I decided the rain water was probably cleaner and gave up on it. It was certainly an interesting experience though to drive around on the dirt roads in torrential rain. All the gutters we passed were either full to the top (they’re a few feet deep) or overflowing, and people were all huddled around under awnings and things. We passed a small herd of goats huddled under a tree, that was cool.

So I got into the office and read papers for about 7 and a half hours, with breaks in the middle to interview the entertainment and sports editor (who said he didn’t mind talking to me for an hour because he likes girls) and Al Hadji, who showed up mid-afternoon. In terms of work, I got through April in papers, so I’ll have to go back in tomorrow afternoon to finish May and the couple June issues I don’t have, as well as to say goodbye to all the people I told I’d be around on Sunday for.

The power is off now, which is sad. Hopefully it will come back on soon so my computer doesn’t die : (

(Update from Sunday -- The power definitely did not come back on, and was still out when we left. We went out to Accra in the morning to be touristy, and made it to Fort Usher, which is kind of cool and very crumbly. It used to be a prison, and Kwame Nkrumah (1st prez) was held there for a while apparently. While we were there it started raining, which wasn't surprising since it rained solidly through the night. We hung out for a while, and I decided I would be lame and abandon the gang to come into the air conditioned, dry, internet-filled office to finish up my research. Definitely glad I made that decision, because it's rained for the past hour since I left them with no sign of letting up. So much for tourism!)

No comments:

Post a Comment