Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ghana Day 28

Parliament was fruitful – I wrote two stories. One was the MPs congratulating the soccer team on having practically qualified for the World Cup (we’re 3-0 after winning against Sudan on Saturday), and the other was the Energy Minister getting grilled (yes, yes I did use that word in the headline) on when certain communities would be getting electricity. The story I didn’t write, because of a plethora of acronyms and place names I didn’t understand and coming in late and whatnot, was that the agreement between the ministry and the oil companies and whoever else is responsible for that stuff has not yet been signed, but the minister maintains that the oil will be exploited on time.

Interesting developments in the political world. Rawlings apparently accepted money for the NDC’s campaign from the governor of Rivers State in Nigeria, as reported by papers there. The NDC spokesman assured everyone yesterday that the two men had only ever met once, and briefly at a state visit, which sucks for him because today the Guide printed photos of the two hanging out together. Apparently we’ve got at least 2 friendly get-togethers documented. The interest here for the Nigerian is that he was accused of stealing lots of money from his government, and he left the country during his trial. While he supposedly stayed in Europe while he was gone, Guide has evidence that he stayed in Ghana for at least some of the time. So this campaign money was meant to buy political goodwill and asylum.

I did not have my meeting today with the guy from the Graphic, because he was busy, so that will happen tomorrow. I’m crossing my fingers. Also tomorrow I’m going to the Electoral Commission and out to dinner, so very exciting happenings and a much busier day than I’m used to in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment